Col. Heg Memorial Park was established in 1928 as the first Racine County park. It was built to honor Hans Christian Heg, a local man who emigrated from Norway in 1844. He organized the Norwegian Regiment, part of the 15th Wisconsin, and was killed in the Civil War. He is the highest ranking officer from Wisconsin to lose his life in the war. The original park included playgrounds, picnic grounds, a log cabin built in 1837, and a museum. A statue of Col. Heg stands at the north end of the park, one of three such statues. The others are located on the capitol grounds at Madison, and at Lier, Norway, Heg's birthplace. The park has expanded and now includes the Eielsen House, home of a local pastor and a barn museum which houses farm equipment. A hill for sledding and a baseball diamond have also been added to the original park.